Reply from adam, Age 25 - 6/10/03 - IP#:   adultbb-c1222

Carmen, I think Frank's reply on the message above was meant for you, too. I'm not a doctor either, but I think you're probably dealing with some form of stress incontinence. I agree that you should ask for a referral to a urologist; there may be medication and/or exercises that can help you that your family doctor might not know as much about. One thing you could try is called "Kegel exercises"... when you're not busy or concentrating on anything, pretend you're trying really hard to stop the flow of urine and squeeze those muscles as tightly as you can for a few seconds at a time, then gradually try to do it longer and for more repetitions. That can help strengthen the muscles that support your bladder and might possibly give some help with your accidents over time. I hope this helps... when I was younger I used to wet myself occasionally in situations like you describe, so I know a little of how embarrassing it can be. Take care and best wishes! -- Adam